Labor, Employment & Social Security
Under the concept of Labor Sustainability, Basham designs, promotes, and implements complete employment, immigration, and social security programs for our clients and their work force.
Our experience and knowledge of labor law, results in being able to respond effectively while maintaing high standards of quality regarding employment issues facing our clients. The firm focuses on adding value to employment matters in the areas of:
- Human capital
- Social responsibility
- Comprehensive planning
The firm provides our services to national and multinational companies and institutions engaged in a wide variety of businesses, helping them to optimize their human and material resources by adding value by what we do.
The firm is aware that each client expects to receive objective advice, proven strategies, and professionalism. We therefore offer innovative, timely and complete solutions, as well as practices that fit our client’s specific needs to help them to make the best decisions for their business.
Our daily practice in the Labor Area, as well as the fact that we are a renowned law firm, have allowed us to create and maintain close contact and collaboration with various government agencies and other organizations in the labor field, both at the federal and state levels, as well as with a variety of international organizations.
Government agencies such as the Labor Ministry, The Federal and State Conciliation and Arbitration Labor Boards, as well as public opinion leaders recognize our firm as one of the best in this field.
The firm has been chosen as the Mexican representative for the global alliance network of labor lawyers, IUS Laboris, which allows us access to information, strategies, resources and best practices from other firms around the world.
Basham’s Labor Area has been recognized in several national and international forums, among them, Latin Lawyer, HierosGamos, Chambers Latin America and Who’s Who Legal, being distinguished as one of the best labor practices in Mexico and Latin America.
We have maintained our leadership by contributing to many global publications, such as “Getting the Deal Through,” “Doing Business,” and “Practical Law Company,” among others.
“In our daily practice we have worked for more than 96 years contributing to social, economic, and political changes that benefit mexico, its companies, intitutions, but above all, its people”.
Basham Labor is made up of thirty lawyers, all experts in employment, social security and immigration matters. Some of the specialized services we provide are:
- Consulting and litigation
- Social Security
- Hewlett Packard: Legal assistance with the process to complete the transfer of all EDS employees in Mexico to HP due to HP acquisition of EDS. We prepared employer substitution documents, modification of working conditions agreements and hold face to face meeting with more than 1,500 employees. Our support enabled a smooth process and avoided any labor liability for both companies.
- Axa: Corporate and labor restructuring for approximately 1,270 unionized employees. Administered and attended approximately 113 labor suits filed in Mexico City and the Mexican Republic. Attended several employment terminations and labor consulting in general.
- Coca-Cola de México: Review of 60 service agreements that the client executed with several outsourcing companies with the purpose of verifying their compliance with the Mexican Social Security Law (SSL) and Federal Labor Law, originating from recent amendments to the SSL. Also, providing consulting in general, regarding all employment matters.
- FedEx: Legalization of all employment matters in Mexico in order for the company´s Mexican subsidiary to operate in Mexico, such as employment agreements, incentive agreements, termination agreements, registration with the Mexican Social Security Institute (IMSS).
- Mattel: Legal assistance with the process to complete the transfer of Mattel warehouse employees to a third party. We outlined the labor strategy and negotiated the terms of the employer substation with the new employer. We prepared the employer substitution notice to be delivered to the employees and the process with social security system. Our work avoided potential calls to strike, complaints for unfair termination and guaranteed a successful transfer of the employees.
- Bloomberg: Provide labor advice in general on a day to day basis, such as employment agreements, incentive agreements termination agreements, etc., and also specifically related to expatriates.
- Mead Johnson: Handling the reorganization project related to all expatriates working in Mexico.