As corporate compliance issues take center stage, Basham is prepared to assist local and multinational companies in structuring and implementing compliance and anti-corruption strategies, in accordance with the continuously evolving international compliance and anti-corruption regulatory standards. Basham’s anti-corruption group is a multi-disciplinary team of lawyers with extensive experience in evaluating, designing, enhancing, auditing and
defending global and regional anti-corruption programs in accordance with international laws and standards, including the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, the UK Bribery Act and the OECD. Our team has extensive experience in conducting:
- Anti-corruption related M&A due diligence.
- Internal investigations and remediation.
- Risk assesments.
- Compliance program assessments.
- Program training.
- Implementation of programs and dawn raid procedures.
- Tailored training for management and staff focused on specific industries and sectors.
- Internal policies and codes design (AML, anti-corruption, antitrust, data privacy, contributions & donations, employee information security, record retention, financial policy).
- Preventive advice and best practices for compliance with Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), UK Bribery Act and other local and international legislations.
- Third party assessments and anti-corruption clauses drafting.
- Preventive and corrective measures regarding potential or suspected corporate mis conduct or white collar crime.
- Defense against government investigations.
- Forensic investigations.
Basham has provided anti-corruption advice to diverse global companies in a range of industries, including:
- Consumer products
- Paint and Coatings
- Health care products and chemicals
Basham’s anti-corruption compliance team works closely with colleagues across our firm’s other strategic areas to offer genuine one-stop shop service to seamlessly address matters from start to finish, providing our clients with more efficient, cost-effective services.
- Corporate audit and investigation for a U.S. based multinational corporation for disclosure of information to the Department of Justice of the United States (DOJ) (Sector: wholesale retail).
- Performance of compliance due diligences to target companies within international acquisition processes to determine level of compliance implementation, existence of adequate preventive and corrective mechanisms, and detection of potential risks (Sector: food).
- Investigations and fact gathering regarding presumed corrupt conducts by leading international corporation Mexican subsidiary (Sector: transportation, manufacture and distribution of children products).
- Advice and guidance to major international corporation as to the diverse implementation of measures after detection of internal corrupt conducts (Sector: pharmaceutical).
- Design and delivery of training seminars for international clients’ local management and key staff in anti-corruption, AML, FCPA and UKBA compliance (Sectors: transportation, retail, food).
- Advice to UK based leading company as to implementation of voluntary disclosures and filings in Mexico related with corrupt practices by its Mexican subsidiary’s management, as part of global Serious Fraud Office (SFO) investigation (Sector: publishing).
- Members of our practice group constantly participate as speakers in diverse anti-corruption & compliance seminars and conferences (International Bar Association, Ethisphere, Create.org, American Conference Institute, international and local chambers of commerce and other forums).