As global inter-dependence increases and public awareness in Mexico of the importance of more care in protecting public health grows, the health regulatory regime in Mexico is becoming ever more complex. Basham, Ringe y Correa has responded to this trend by establishing a Health Practice Group to help clients comply with health requirements, working closely with those in related practice groups in the firm.
The practice group provides advice on virtually every aspect of health law and monitors developments in the area in order to keep our clients informed of changes in the legislative and regulatory framework. The group can furnish information concerning the regulations that must be complied with, and the permits that must be obtained by manufacturers and importers, for the preparation and sale of food, alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, tobacco, cleansers, cosmetics, and medicines as well as fertilizers, pesticides, toxic substances, veterinarian and other similar products also subject to health regulation.
The practice group offers the following services in this area, among others, advising on:
- Obtaining health permits from and registration with the Department of Health for foods, beverages, drugs and other products.
- Filing or defending administrative proceedings, negotiating with health authorities, and appealing government rulings.
- Obtaining permits to advertise products and services subject to health regulations
- Obtaining authorizations for importing health regulated products to be sold in Mexico.
- Assisting in internal audits to measure compliance with health regulations
- Official health standards.
- Obtaining advance rulings from health authorities.
- Lobbying of government officials and agencies.
- Health assistance to GlaxoSmithKline Inc. with the Due Diligence of Darier pharmaceutical company in connection with the stock purchase.
- Legal representation to the first Laboratory in Mexico with exclusive preconception sperm sorting technology to increase the likelihood of conceving a child of a particular gender.
- Support and legal representation to international pharmaceutical to carry out renewal process of health registrations for medicines and medical devices companies.
- Legal advice to S.C. Johnson and Son to carry out the modification to health registration conditions for pesticides as well as renewal process.