On March 19, 2020 the General Health Council celebrated an extraordinary meeting in Mexico City on the occasion of the global pandemic caused by COVID-19 (Coronavirus).
The General Health Council is a collegiate body that reports directly to the Mexican President and is a health authority with regulatory, counselling and executive powers. The provisions it issues have a general and mandatory character in the country.
The resolutions adopted by the members of the General Health Council at its plenary session are as follows:
1. The epidemic caused by the SARS-CoV2 virus (COVID) in Mexico was recognized as a serious disease with a priority attention.
2. The Council determined to sanction the epidemic’s preparation, prevention and control measures that, to date, have been designed, coordinated and supervised by the Ministry of Health and implemented by the agencies and entities of the Federal Public Administration, the legislative and judicial branches, the institutions of the National Health System, as well as the governments of the Federal Entities and various organizations of the social and private sectors.
3. It was decided that the Ministry of Health will establish the necessary measures to prevent and contain the epidemic caused by COVID-19 and will define, in consensus with the offices and entities involved in its application, the methods, duration and territorial extension of such measures.
4. The governments of the Federal Entities and the rest of the members of the national health system were urged to define, as soon as possible, the plans for hospital restructuring and immediate expansion of capacity that will guarantee a timely attention to cases of COVID-19 requiring hospitalization.
5. Finally, the Council was constituted on a permanent session.
The Administrative Law and Heath Law practices of the firm will continue to monitor and inform you of any new developments in this subject.
Daniel del Río
Mexico City, March 23th, 2020.