Mexico City, April 13th, 2021.
On the occasion of the constitutional reform published in the Federal Official Gazette on March 11th, 2021 regarding the Judicial Power of the Federation, on April 8th, 2021 the Plenary of the Mexico’s Supreme Court of Justice (SCJN for its acronym in Spanish) approved the General Act Number 1/2021, by which the beginning of the eleventh period of the Federal Weekly Judiciary Gazette is established.
In the Federal Weekly Judiciary Gazette, the jurisprudential and isolated criteria are disclosed through the preparation of theses. A thesis refers to the legal criterion used in a specific case, which is written with the structure of a rule, composed of a factual assumption and a legal consequence.
The publications in the Federal Weekly Judiciary Gazette have been classified at periods, the beginning of which is determined by fundamental modifications such as those of March 11th, 2021 relating to the Judicial Power of the Federation. Among the modifications made, the following stand out:
- The establishment of jurisprudence by precedent issued by the Plenary and the Chambers of the SCJN. In all matters within its competence, the precedents of the SCJN approved with eight votes in the Plenary and four votes in the Chambers, will constitute compulsory jurisprudence.
- Modifications to the jurisdiction of the SCJN that strengthen its role as constitutional court.
- The knowledge of the general declaration of unconstitutionality from a precedent established by the Plenary or by the Chambers of the SCJN, approved with the respective qualified vote, when determining in an indirect amparo in review the unconstitutionality of a general rule.
- The establishment of the Regional Plenary Offices as jurisdictional bodies in which the exercise of the Judicial Power of the Federation is deposited, which will have, among other powers, the knowledge and resolution of matters of the competence delegated by the SCJN.
- The establishment of the Collegiate Courts of Appeal, which will hear the matters of the current jurisdiction of the Unitary Circuit Courts.
General Act Number 1/2021, of April 8th, 2021, of the Plenary of the SCJN, by which the beginning of the Eleventh Period of the Federal Weekly Judiciary Gazette is determined and establish its bases will enter into force on May 1st, 2021.
The team of our Intellectual Property, Civil & Commercial Litigation and Administrative Law Practices, remain at your order to specify the necessary.
S I N C E R E L Y,
Luis Alberto Gonsen
Civil and Commercial Litigation:
Francisco Javier Tiburcio